Thursday, February 4, 2010

Pledging in what you believe in

When I was a young girl, once a month on Saturday, my father would tip toe into my bedroom in the early morning hours and gently scoop me out of bed. He would relocate me (pajamas and blanket) into the folded front seat of his yellow Mercury Gia, and we would head 100 miles out of town.

It was Army Reserves weekend, and this was our routine.

Just as the sun would begin it's early morning rise, he would drop me at Grandma's house to continue my slumber. While I can still remember the stiffness of his fatigues, strong smell of the KWIK shoe polish, and how I got so much kick out of unlacing his boots...it wasn't until many years later that I would come to appreciate the importance for which he drove those 100 miles one weekend a month.

My Pa had a love for many things. Golf, God, his family, a good Italian meal, and his country. He was in the United States Navy during the end of World War II, and as I later heard, fibbed his age to enlist. Like my Father, I didn't truly understand all he had contributed, experienced, and sacrificed for our country until my adult years. Had I known then what I know now, I would have asked him to share more stories. I would have thanked him more often.

So, while many express their appreciation on Memorial Day or Veteran's Day. I am taking this opportunity to express mine. To all my family, friends, and fellow citizens who serve, we support the cause for which you have so bravely chosen. Let it be known that we salute you! Today and everyday. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clark Infested Waters, 2009. All Rights Reserved.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.