Friday, February 12, 2010

This is one to remember

Many times in their lives, I know I will have to repeat the important stuff at least three times for them to remember it. Don't talk to strangers... Treat others how you want to be treated... Mind your manners...

So, this is my third post about the snow. I am aware. It's my final attempt at relaying to the kids what an event this past week has been. Two blizzards in five days, bringing 51 inches of snow to our area. It may never happen again in my lifetime.


Since the snow was so high we could have lost a toddler or two, making a snowman was simply not an option. So, I sat on the porch and watched your Dad sculpt a small cave for the two of you to play in, followed by a five minute lesson in snow ball mechanics. As I sat there, I couldn't help but admire how beautiful the moment was. All the snow had gotten a bit annoying, but perhaps us playing together, outside, in the middle of a cold February afternoon was that in itself, the point. A silent, beautiful, forced gift of mother nature.

A reminder of what turning off the television and not having a place to go would provide. Precious moments to climb mountains, build caves, and laugh.
A few opportunities to be neighborly. To pick up groceries for one another, share dinner invitations, assist eachother in clearing the snow (twice), and calling just to check in. Not expecting anything in return. Doing these things simply because it's what neighbors do. A night to sit around the kitchen table and enjoy your Aunt Kathy's company. I hate that she couldn't make it home, when home was just twenty minutes away. But, selfishly, I was so happy to see your faces light up when you heard she was staying over. Before you went to bed, Kate, you told me it was your favorite part of the day.So, while the walls of snow you walked between were remarkable, indeed. Know that Mom and Dad will be talking about this for years to come, not just because there were a few too many feet of snow. But, also because there were many moments to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clark Infested Waters, 2009. All Rights Reserved.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.