Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A letter to my son on his first birthday...

I loved the idea of writing a letter to the kids on their birthday so much (Thank you, OhMommy), that I decided to start a little tradition of my own...

Dearest Conor, Con-man, Conor-saurus, Brother, my little man...

Tomorrow is your birthday. You will be one year old. As I rocked you to sleep tonight, I found myself reflecting on all your wonderful "first moments".

I remember being pregnant with you wondering if I would ever be able to love another child as much as I love your sister. Then you were born...on that day, one year ago, my heart was full. The first time I held you, I was over the hills in love with you and still am.

You remind me so much of your Father. You have a wonderful, joyous disposition, smiling at everyone that crosses your path. I love how your smoky giggle pours out after a game of peek a boo or a quick tickle. Your laugh is infectious!

You constantly look for a ball or truck to play with, and love to drum on anything you can find. Boozer, the dog, fascinates you, and you would play all day in the bath tub if you could. Water is by far your favorite, whether it is running from the sink, the bath tub, or the flushing toilet. You are surely a water bug and are full of energy!

You and your sister are the best of friends. You want to be with her always, and share the biggest smile when she greets you good morning and kisses you before bed each night. I hope the two of you will share this loving bond always.

So as I sat there with you tonight, I absorbed the fresh smell of your skin, the rise and fall of your chest on mine, and how you seem to be the perfect size to hold. I know that just like the first year of your life, these moments, too, will pass quickly.

Before I know it, you will be too big to hold in my lap and too "cool" to kiss me good-bye. So, right now...tonight...I will hold you for just a few more minutes...

Happy First Birthday, Conor. Mommy is so proud of you!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Conor!
    I can't believe Anna and Conor are 1 year old already! Enjoy them while you still can!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Clark Infested Waters, 2009. All Rights Reserved.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.