Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Our Super Hero

Since birth, the Con-Man has had his set of issues. From colic to ear infections, and cradle cap to ezcema, the poor little guy has always seemed to be fighting something. In fact, bottles for his first six month of life consisted of formula, prune juice, mylicon, rice cereal, and water to deal with his appetite and assist with the lack of bowel movements and gas!

To add to his story, I woke up a week ago to find him covered from toe to waste in red bumps. Now, I mentioned the kid has eczema, so scaly red patches I am used to (despite my frequent morning and evening rub downs), but this was different! I quickly made him a doctors appointment and rushed him to the pediatrician. In her expert medical opinion, she simply stated it was a "flare up" of his eczema and prescribed yet another topical cream for our daily routine. In my most respectful "I am not another over-worried Mother, but will be taking control over his care" voice, I requested an allergy test.

The peds office called me two days ago to relay the news that yes, our dearest Conor, does have allergies...peanuts, milk, and egg whites. Well, it could be worse...it's not grass, water, or the dog (hubby was relieved)! He may not be the boy in the bubble, but this latest news may certainly present its share of challenges.

Immediately I felt like a horrible Mother. Could the two gallons of milk per week I craved during pregnancy have caused this allergy? While he hasn't yet been exposed to peanuts (I don't think), I have been filling his little body with milk (in one form or another) every day since conception! Visions flashed through my mind of poor Conor not able to enjoy a PB&J with his sister (her favorite), or having to opt for soy ice cream at the parlor. In making their lunches, I am putting seperate cheeses on their sandwiches...american for her and soy for him. Yogurts are the same...Dora and Tinkerbell for her and the soy ($1.09 each -ouch!-Hello, recession!) for him. I have been reading every label of food before serving it to ensure it was not manufactured in a plant that produces peanut products and the list goes on....

When making pancakes this morning for breakfast (Katie's request), I had to stop myself. The ingredients....yep, eggs and milk. Sigh....poor Conor...he was served sausage and pancakes with no eggs and soy milk. I guess the good news is, if I start this now, he won't know the difference by the time he is old enough to understand food should have taste.

Now, I am realistic. I understand this is minor in the big scheme of things, and am thankful for his health and happiness. But, the reality also set in when shopping for his new diet. Needless to say, I am accepting any and all ideas for snacks and food that do not cost an arm and a leg and that do not contain peanuts, egg whites, or milk. Can a child really survive on meat, vegetables and juice?

In an effort to make this news exciting, I have decided today Conor will become a Superhero, although I'm not sure of his name yet (I'll solicit suggestions from his sister later). Due to his Super powers, he needs to eat special foods. SuperMan = Kryptonite...PopEye=Spinach....The Con Man=Soy!

So, to all who are reading this, I introduce you to our little SuperHero...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Clark Infested Waters, 2009. All Rights Reserved.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.