Thursday, July 2, 2009

A letter to my Daughter on her Birthday

Dearest Katie, Kate, Sister, Katie Bug, Katesie, Katester, Monkey, Princess,

Three years ago today we held our first blessing in our arms...you. Your Daddy and I fell in love with you at first sight, and have been head over heels since. It is hard to believe you are three today. Looking to the year ahead, this is the year you will start pre-school, try on your first ballet shoes, and perhaps play in your first soccer game. I just don't know where the times has gone...let the tears begin.

You have such a jubilous spirit and an old soul. From a very young age, you have done and said things as if you have been here before. The first time you rode your tricycle, you knew just what to do, peddling down the sidewalk on your own, without looking back. When you know I am worried, your tiny hand lifts my chin, moving my thoughts to you and reminding me I have a lot to smile about. Your smile is contagious!

You share your Daddy's sense of humor, and bright blue eyes. I thank you for always reminding me to laugh at the little things in life...even when the laughter is sometimes at myself.

From cleaning the table to folding the laundry. From putting away your toys to watering the plants. You are my little helper, and my "favorite girl!" I cherish the early hours of the weekend, where you have made it routine to snuggle with me and the Disney channel. I hope we remain close always.

Your thoughtfulness amazes me. You always remember your friends when packing a special snack, and recall to ask if others are feeling better when you know they have been sick.

I love how you cup my face with both hands when reaching out for a kiss. You have a big heart, and show so much love to everyone. You are a wonderful BIG sister, always looking out for your brother, showering him with kisses and hugs, and remembering to share (even when the sharing involves your favorite Princess). Watching the two of you "chat" and giggle at the dinner table brings a smile to my face. I know you will be the best of friends...life long friends.

So as I kissed you goodnight and watched you head off to bed with Mom Mom and Nana, I couldn't help but return to your room for one more goodnight, birthday kiss. Maybe this would be the kiss that would stop time...

Happy 3rd Birthday. Katie!

We love and are so proud of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clark Infested Waters, 2009. All Rights Reserved.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.