Monday, June 29, 2009

The greatest gifts

I awoke on my own this morning and rolled over in an attempt to see the blurred numbers on the clock. Instead, my eyes met those of little Kate. She had apparently made her way into our bed last night. I must have slept deeply because my body ached from head to toe, my eyes felt full and puffy, and I wasn't aware of her arrival. She offered me a little giggle, and a smile, of which I gladly returned.

Happy Birthday, Mommy, she soflty said.

Thanks, Honey, I replied.

I could see her Daddy hosting the same smile, eyes closed, lying on his pillow behind her, and knew instantly who was behind the perfectly delivered greeting.

Mommy, you want to share my Tinkerbell birthday with me?, she added.

At that moment, I was reminded of the greatest gifts. They come when you least expect them, and always in the prettiest of packages. I am a lucky girl and have a lot to celebrate this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clark Infested Waters, 2009. All Rights Reserved.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.