Sunday, August 23, 2009

You are my hero

You cried only a few tears after the accident, and trusted your beloved Dora bandaid to make "it feel better". You greeted every access rep, nurse, physician, and xray tech with a smile, proudly explaining why there was a bend in your arm..."Conor pushed me off the stool. But it was an accident." When they took you to Radiology (3x), you sat stiff as a board, and said "cheese" with every angled shot, waiting to be rewarded with your prized Backyardigan stickers. The heart or pulse monitors, nor the blood pressure cuff hugging your arm seemed to phase you. Today, you were very brave.

I tried to stay strong for you as they sedated you, re-set your arm, and casted the injury. Then, as you came to, you slowly studdered..."I love you, Mommy. " I cried more today after hearing those muttered words than I did the first time you spoke them. Today, I decided I could lay beside you on a tiny bed and hold you forever.

You quickly learned the room remote control to find your favorite cartoons, and knew just how to get the passing nurses attention at a game of peek a boo with Tasha. When you were discharged home, you proudly waved your Pink Princess cast to the staff announcing, "My arm feels better. Bye everybody!"

There are some funny things about being a parent. As much as it is our place is to teach our children. Sometimes, I have to pause...

...and recognize I am learning some of the greatest lessons in life from my children. Today, you were one brave little girl.

Today...you were my hero.

3 comments:

  1. Poor thing! I hope her arm feels better soon! It sounds like Miss K was quite the brave little girl today! I think it's always harder on the parents when our little ones get hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so sorry to hear from you Mom that Katie broke her arm! She did sound very brave! (It's hard to be brave in front of them sometimes isn't it!) Thinking about all of you!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. We spent Sunday at the hospital too. No broken bones, just an icky virus and a very, very high fever. Katie is so cute with that little pink cast. I agree, even though Cristian is only 14 months, I feel like I have already learned some big lessons from him.

    ReplyDelete

Clark Infested Waters, 2009. All Rights Reserved.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.