Sunday, May 9, 2010

On Mother's Day

While the view from my hotel room this week was (again) of beautiful downtown Chicago and the world famous Hancock Building, I chose not to write about the city. My thoughts were at home. Little Conor had caught a stomach bug, and had been spilling out both ends for seven days, three of which were when I was away. While I knew my husband could handle the kids at home, I hated that I couldn't step in to alternate a sick day, change a diaper, run a load of laundry...anything. My heart ached that I couldn't be there to care for my family, when that's the only thing I wanted to do. Then, I learned my mother-in-law had arrived. She dropped what she was doing, and drove the four plus hours in rush hour traffic to lend a hand until I returned home. It was after learning this that I decided I couldn't write about Chicago this week, but instead, I needed to write about Mothers.


I have witnessed Mothers celebrate with their children after many victories.


I have sat next to and held the hand of a Mom in a hospital praying for her sick son.


I have seen the pride in a Mother's eyes when holding her grandchild.


I have watched a Mother bury her newborn daughter.


I have heard a Mother support her daughter even when she knew she was wrong.


I have a Mother in Texas who would stand on her head and drink a Martini if it meant supporting her children. (Okay, maybe not the stand on her head part. It would mess up her hair. But, I bet I could get her to sip a Martini...wink)


I know a Mother in Maryland who this week, reminded me what it means to be a Mom. No matter what age, what distance, or what price, Mothers will always be Mothers.


I am so thankful to have two wonderful ladies to call "Mom".


Happy Day to all the beautiful Mothers in the world!
You deserve it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clark Infested Waters, 2009. All Rights Reserved.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.