Thursday, September 10, 2009

The beginning of the end

We have been chatting this day up for months…the first day of school.

My husband and I jumped in with both feet, us too preparing to meet many new friends. He volunteering with the Parish Charity Golf Tournament, and me agreeing to bring snacks, make homemade playdoh for the kids, and volunteer a day or two (when work allows).

Katie and I spent part of the afternoon on Monday putting together a snack for her to bring on the first day. After much encouragement from her teachers to send a low sugar, healthy snack, we settled on “fish food”.

“Fish Food” is a mixture of bubbles (cheerios), fishing rods (pretzel sticks), and goldfish (crackers). She was thrilled with her creation, and insisted she place Tinkerbell stickers on each snack bag for her new friends. "Tinkerbell likes fish Food, Mommy," she explained.

We then packed her book bag full of completed forms, an extra set of clothing, Mommy’s homemade playdoh, and a cast cover (you never know)…everything she needing for her first day of Pre-K3.

Just like my Mother and so many others did, I placed her in front of the door and snapped a picture in the outfit she picked out, proudly wearing her new backpack and a shy smile.

She patiently waited her turn to walk through the school door, found her very own hook for her book bag, a button displaying her name, and placed the bumble bee on the attendance board under her name just right!

With that, she was at the table coloring with the other girls and boys…and it was “adios” for me.

Snuffle, sniff...I know, I know...get a grip. Snuffle, sniff...

This update comes just a few hours after my original post. I opened up her backpack and found the first of many art projects. "Those are my flowers, Mommy. I made them just for you!" she said.

I couldn't help but wrap my arms around her. These are by far the best flowers I have received. I will cherish them...always. Snuffle, sniff, sniff...

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet girl!! I'm sure she was super excited about her first day at school! Love the fish food! That's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww..... how sweet. ANd thanks for the heads up on the fish food as my kiddos would love some of that!

    ReplyDelete

Clark Infested Waters, 2009. All Rights Reserved.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.