Thursday, April 8, 2010

A letter to my son on his second birthday

Dear Conor, Con-Man, Bubba, Bud,

You have changed so much in the last year since I last sat down to write you a letter. It's hard to believe today is your second birthday. Even though you are still very much my baby, I can no longer refer to your age in months or travel on an airplane with you on my lap. As another year passes, I am reminded how precious your youth is.

You are still the same sweet boy, reaching for my hand to lead me across the room, and pull my arm across your lap when we snuggle on the couch. The depth of your soul is so sweet, that something tells me you will be doing these things even when I am old. I am so loved to be your Mother.

You have graduated to a little boy bed, abandoning the need for me to rock you to sleep each night. So, it's these couch snuggle sessions with you that I now cherish. You love to "vroom" your cars around the kitchen in endless circles, and have taken quite the liking to fish, sharks, and well...all things marine. I hope to never forget your reaction to your birthday cake.
You are beginning to gain your independence and grow into your own personality. A personality, that even with a sweet core, is aggressive, determined, and not afraid to vocalize how you feel (even if your vocalization has yet to form words). All traits your Dad is confident will be put to good use in sports one day!

You embrace everyone, stranger or not, and prove that if you smile, the world truly does smile with you. Your smile is infectious!
Your sister remains your best friend, the two of you becoming closer with each passing day. You are her "Buddy", look to her for guidance, and share her laughter when she is silly. It's a beautiful thing for a Mother to watch.

As you left to walk to Ms Marci's this morning, I stood at the door a little longer, and watched you. At just two years old, you are such a little man in the making and I am so proud of you. Happy Birthday, son. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clark Infested Waters, 2009. All Rights Reserved.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.