Thursday, March 18, 2010

Earrings

When she was born, her Uncle Brad sent diamond stud earrings. I remember looking at her sweet, precious ears...so small, so new. I couldn't believe that my husband and I had created her. What a gift. What a blessing. How amazing. I remember getting lost in the thought of it all.

So, perhaps this is why after years of planning to adorn my first newborn baby girl in a beautiful pair of earrings, I couldn't bring myself to place holes in her ears. The diamond stud earrings that Uncle Brad sent are still in their box.

Fast forward three years....

After stiches to the head, a broken arm, and many bodily scars later, holes to the ears seem easy. So, here I am. A regretful mother wishing she had done the deed while you were an infant.
"Don't you want earrings. honey?" I ask.

"Earrings, Mommy? They will put holes in my ears? Will it hurt?" she so innocently asks.

"Nah. It will just pinch a little bit, but then it will be okay." I reply.

She winces.

"You know, Mommy has earrings," I say. "And, Nana...and GrandMom...and Mom Mom. All girls do."

She doesn't look convinced. "All girls?" she questions.

Months have passed since I brought up the subject. I vowed to myself not to push her. Rather, I would wait patiently for her to decide she was ready. I waited. And waited.

And then, it happened. One of her best friends showed up at daycare...with earrings. I simply smiled and gave her little friend a fancy compliment upon introduction. Kate gushed with envy.

On Sunday, I told Kate we were going to the mall to get an Easter dress.

"Can I get my ears pierced?" she asked.

"If you want to," I replied.

"Will it hurt?" she questioned.

"Nah. Just a pinch." I responded.

"I want to," she smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clark Infested Waters, 2009. All Rights Reserved.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.